RECIPE FOR BUNUELOS DE MOLDE [MOLDED FRITTERS]
1 cup milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1 tbl. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
BATTER / TOPPING DIRECTIONS
1. Beat eggs, milk and vanilla in medium mixing bowl or batter bowl
2. In a separate bowl, mix flour, 1 tbl sugar, and salt
3. Sift flour mixture into egg mixture and beat until smooth
4. Combine 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon for topping, set aside
1. Heat vegetable oil to 365 degrees for frying
2. Hold bunuelo or rosette iron in hot oil until thoroughly heated. Drain well.
3. Dip into batter immediately. Let batter come all the way up the sides of the iron, but not over the top. Dip into the frying oil.
4. As soon as batter firms slightly, pry bunuelo from iron gently with a knife. Continue to fry the bunuelo until golden.
7. Remove from the oil with a fork and drain on paper towel. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar while hot.
8. Repeat with remaining batter.
9. Serve immediately or store in air-tight container.
Makes approximately 5 dozen depending on size.
Adapted from The Art of Rosette Cooking